Get into the holiday spirit with all of the magical things happening in Georgia’s Lake Country! The whole family will enjoy these top 10 events.
- Antebellum Christmas at the Old Governor’s Mansion in Milledgeville: The Mansion will be transformed into a Christmas wonderland. Take a step back in time and see how the elite of
Georgia celebrated this holiday. The Mansion will be fully decorated and open for Christmas tours beginning on November 19 and running through December 22. The Mansion will be closed for Thanksgiving November 23-27. Also, make sure to join us for an evening tour of the Mansion with candles lit and choirs singing in the rotunda. Candlelight tours are at 6pm and 7pm December 9, 16, & 19, 2017.
- Ice Skating at The Ritz-Carlton Reynolds, Lake Oconee: The beautiful 6,000-square- foot Ice Rink in The Forest at The Ritz-Carlton will open Wednesday, November 22 at 4pm. Invigorating exercise and fun are topped off with hot cocoa or hot apple cider. Skating will be available daily through January 8, 2018 from 10am to 2pm and 4pm to 8pm.
- Madison’s Holiday Tour of Homes: Step inside the magical homes of Madison from November 30 through December 2. Explore the town that General Sherman spared during his infamous “March to the Sea”, leaving behind a collection of meticulously maintained antebellum beauties. Gather your design gurus, architecture lovers, and history buffs because this tour is not to be missed! Recently named one of the “South’s Best Small Towns” by Southern Living Magazine, there’s no better place to experience Christmas in the south. Daytime and candlelight tours available.
- Downtown Greensboro Tree Lighting: Join us for a small town holiday celebration on December 1 in downtown Greensboro as we flip the switch on "the big tree" on the Courthouse Lawn. Hundreds of twinkling lights decorate the streets as downtown shops stay open late to help visitors get started with their holiday shopping. There will be live performances form area choirs and a visit from Santa. The official Tree Lighting will take place after 6pm.
- Milledgeville Polar Express Trolley: December 6-15, take a magical ride on the Polar Express Trolley when you purchase a golden ticket. You will be greeted by the trolley conductor who will take you on a magical journey to the North Pole! Board the trolley at the Milledgeville Visitors Center and listen to Liam Neeson’s reading of The Polar Express, by Chris Van Allsburg while you interact with characters from the movie. Upon arrival at our North Pole, disembark and visit with Santa. He will be giving true believers the first present of Christmas! Hot chocolate and cookie refreshments are also included.
- Holiday Wishes with Tony DeSare in Greensboro: Celebrate the Season with renowned musician, Tony DeSare as he croons your favorite Holiday tunes. He will be performing at Festival Hall on December 6 at 7:30pm.
- Holiday Open House at Rose Hill in Milledgeville: On December 7, there will be a Holiday Reception at Rose Hill from 6pm to 8pm with beer/wine & heavy hor d'oeurves. The Holiday Open House at Rose Hill on Lockerly Arboretum Grounds will be on December 9.
- Caroling by Candlelight in Madison: On December 9 at 4pm, parade through Downtown Madison to ring in the Christmas holiday! After the parade, gather with friends and neighbors for the annual Caroling By Candlelight celebration in Town Park. Enjoy hot chocolate and roast marshmallows over an open flame while singing along to holiday carols with local choral groups. We’ve also been told that Santa and his elves will be on hand to hear last minute Christmas wishes!
- Christmas at Stepback in Eatonton: The annual Christmas open house at Stepback, a community of one, will take place on December 9 from 11am to 4:00pm at 176 Dennis Station Road in Eatonton, Georgia. This community was built to remind us all of days gone by. It is a celebration of the way middle Georgia families lived and worked for so many years. Walk the grounds and visit fully-furnished 1890-1920 buildings including a windmill, general store, one-room schoolhouse, blacksmith shop and more. Don't miss this chance to step back in time and experience life as it was.
- Christmas in the Eatonton Briar Patch- This Annual Christmas Arts and Crafts Bazaar will be held on the Putnam County Courthouse Lawn from 2pm to 7pm on December 9. Purchase one-of- a-kind gifts for the whole family. The "Light Up The Night" Christmas Parade will start at 6pm, culminating in the appearance of Mr. and Mrs. Clause. Photo opportunities with Santa and Mrs. Claus in the Gazebo will take place after the Parade.